Monday, March 14, 2016

"The Book Of Life" Movie Review (written on 03.12.16)

I left Los Angeles (CA) in the afternoon on the 12th for a 14.5 hr plane ride to Taipei, Taiwan. Since I managed to watch a highly recommended movie, I decided to write a review. It's much later than the release, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless!! 

But first, I want to gripe! I got on the plane and someone was in my seat. When he moved, he acted like I had stolen the seat from HIM. WTfudge, right? So as I'm sitting there, the guy moved ENDLESSLY. When I tried to sleep, his elbow found its way over to my side, and he kept it there. He was the WORST plane seat neighbor I'd ever had!! Most people keep to their side of the arm rest, and yet, he acted like I had less of a right to sit there. So, I moved and kept to myself, but, eventually, I couldn't help but want to smack him. I didn't... or did I? No, I didn't!! I'm not like that!! And when he woke up, he had the WORST BREATH ever!! Man, and he kept talking and yawning, I was eating cough drops just to breathe out and kill that disgusting smell!! Ok, griping done!! Here's my review!

A truly sweet and cultured story is this tale of life, love, and all that is precious in the moments we pass with those we are close to. Featuring Diego Luna, Zoe Saldana, Channing Tatum and an array of voices, this story is sweet, touching, and relatable to everyone who watches it. Naturally, many are unnoticed due to the nature of the films, but as for promoting Hispanics and Mexico, I really find new love for the culture.

The light and colors that differentiated between the worlds was most mesmerizing. I wanted to watch it to no end and found it a delightful viewing experience. As many films with such goals tried to do in the past, this film truly illuminated the visual experience with bright colors contrasting with the dim and darkness of the World of the Forgotten. Despite the darkness and sadness, there is so much for the eyes to see. Proud should be the creators of wuch a film. I think it was superbly done and I would readily watch it again. Indeed.

The dialogue was expertly woven together. From the colloquial language to those of children, I found it pleasant and easiy to understand. With everyone talking, with accents and not, I wanted, I was left without want. The different styles and tones really stimulated my thoughts and imagination. If only we could have such stark contrasts in our world, right? Overall, I found it always a pleasure to hear and learn from the story.

Character development was nice and very easy to follow along. With the color and appearance differences, the consistencies were enogh well done so that I could follow along easily, as could any child. The love story from childhood to adult was brief for a moment and then everywhere, which made things all the more interesting. I did wonder, at some point, why their forms changed so dramatically, but there were definitely some things in the story that I didn’t like. Physical depictions of how Mexicans ought to look disturbed me, which seemed to go unnoticed by some. I guess, reading into things is just like that, then?

Sound was key, definitely! With cool music and sound effects, the foley and more made me feel like each experience and movement was real. I know @MoonLiteWolf would have LOVED it!! OMG!! Well done!!


The overall theme of love and life is very heavy and sweetly told through the entire story. In every moment, one or the other was highlighted and I felt an overwhelming sense of my questions being unanswered and brushed aside by the two heavier themes. It’s nice and I’m touched, but I do have questions that were unanswered. So... I give it a 3 of 4 Stars!!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a young writer/director whose individual style and complete control over all elements of production give my work a personal and unique stamp.