Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Oscar [Shameful] Reflection (03.17.16)

I’m a female Asian American writer/director hoping for a chance to prove myself in the dark industry that is Hollywood. So, Chris Rock addressing the #OscarsSoWhite meant a lot to me. I thought everything went well until he pulled three young Chinese boys onto the stage for his skit. That shocked me into silence. As the world laughed at the joke, I sat there in silence, surprised that such a blatant racist joke could be cracked by someone meant to redeem the under-represented at the world’s choice film awards.

It was THEN that it hit me, he only meant to make Black people feel better, not the Asian people. No, no, we were still laughable and jokes on us were still allowed. Did our nation forget that hundreds of Chinese were the ones that connected the East to the West? Whether it be robbed from their homes, kidnapped, or recruited, thousands were recruited, hundreds died, and those left over were seen as less than humans. Doesn’t that sound familiar? So, how were Black slaves and Asian railroad workers different?


I just wonder why we are so differently treated when our histories and discrimination are in the same league of horribleness. Where is the justice for ALL minorities? I know I’m not alone in this frustration!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a young writer/director whose individual style and complete control over all elements of production give my work a personal and unique stamp.