Thursday, October 8, 2015

Once Upon A Time... Quantico met Brooklyn... Not Really!

I think I shouldn't try to figure out any clever titles anymore... It's not like anyone appreciates them... and I can't really think of much. LOL. -- As promised!! Here are my TV reviews for the most recent episodes! Enjoy the read and leave me a comment!!

"Once Upon A Time" Season 05 :: Episode 02


I’m relieved to see Hook very set on saving Emma and continuing his love for her. In the past and in the present, the two’s love story will torment viewers this season because of the inner darkness that threatens their lives in different ways. Somehow, though he was always the one to save her and help her, I feel this season’s turn of events will really test their relationship, and either make or break them. Oh, the great twists and turns of the Storybrook heroes!!

Getting on with it, I liked how Regina was knocked off her high horse when she realized she was a long way from redemption, even having claimed herself as the Savior. Snow and Charming’s protectiveness over Emma is sweet and, somehow, their parenting of Regina is also very well thought out of the creators. Henry is growing up, which makes me happy, and the dwarves and their usefulness returns in these episodes, I believe it!

This season opened with the signature memory wipe and as bits and pieces return to us, I want things to move faster, but the carefully wrought details in each and every scene of the show is captivating and very inspiring. From the form of the tree that Merlin is stuck in all the way to the rock and sword that Excalibur is stuck in, in the basement of Emma’s Storybrook house. I’m glad Hook noticed the door and lock, I wished he could have stayed with her a while longer so that I could decipher what their relationship was, but the creators have kept the mystery alive for so long and I do appreciate it.

I look forward to seeing how Rumplestiltskin or Mr. Gold will react when he wakes and meets Emma as the Dark One. Will he have any powers? How will the story progress? What an interesting thing to ponder on until he wakes, right?


My overall score for the show, given I felt it a bit slow, is 7 of 10 Stars. Slow and steady may win the race, but some races are won with speed without regard to beauty. So… here’s hoping… 

"Quantico" Season 01 :: Episode 02


I… expected more. There is a sappiness to the story that came out in this past episode and… I’m not liking it. Miranda’s revelation of Liam’s feelings towards Alex was a bit too much too soon. I did NOT appreciate it, especially since I’ve not seen anything at that point to corroborate that story. I’m enjoying the Natalie and Alex rivalry, also Ryan Booth’s struggle as to which one to focus on. Simon’s friendliness with Nimah is interesting, especially when he is being hit on by a cutie. Something about Shelby and Caleb really offset me and annoyed me. THEIR relationship is SUPER “high school” to me.

The editing style is a bit jarring. I understand the fast pace being important, but there needs to be more of a focus on what Alex sees and how it’s relevant for me to follow. Past shows like “Burn Notice” and “Leverage” did things very well, despite being in a cornier way, and the one that takes the cake on diligence to the art of film would be “Sherlock Homes” Guy Ritchie can do no wrong by me. SIGH! But if this show manages to harness this artful way of editing and super-stylized method of storytelling, then “Quantico” should be able to last at least a few more seasons.

My most favorite part of the entire episode is the ending, when Booth wakes and takes a call from Alex. There seems to be something still between them, perhaps cohorts, or did he already jump over to her side and Liam was the one who shot Booth? Who knows, but I want to see the next episode so I can figure out just WHO is pulling the strings and WHO is being puppeteered in the strings… and WHO is trapped in the strings. As of now, the show has it set up that Liam is the one pulling the strings, Booth is the puppet, and Alex is caught in the strings. For all intents and purposes, I believe that Alex will end up as the string puller, Booth remains in the middle, and Liam will fall into the entrapment of the strings.


I rate Season 01 Episode 02: 7 of 10 Stars. Here’s hoping the show gets better and not worse from this point on!

"Brooklyn Nine-Nine" Season 3 :: Episode 02


I LOVE the whole Jake and Amy relationship. Super down-played felt weird but now seems perfect for the type of show it is. There is such a sweetness between Terry and Captain Ray Holt, both of whom are wonderfully written characters. The Linetti-Diaz-Boyle triangle continues to make the episodes funnier and funnier, along with Hitchcock and Scully who are rather absent in this last episode. And, golly, I don’t like the Vulture! OMG! But I do hope Captain Holt will return to the Nine-Nine, Jake and Amy will keep on going strong, and someone for Boyle to love. It would also be nice for Terry’s issues to pan out and his mango yogurt be restored to the shelves, Linetti needs a steady lover as weird as she is, and progress between Diaz and Holt’s nephew would be a good touch of well-rounded family-feeling fun! As always, it’s nice to see everyone doing quite well, despite being at a funeral.

So, because this show is much lighter than the other two, I gladly rate this episode 8 of 10 Stars!

***

Agree with me? Disagree with me? Let me know in the comments below!! I love a good discussion!! Otherwise, look forward to more and enjoy this episode of CoTangent podcast!!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a young writer/director whose individual style and complete control over all elements of production give my work a personal and unique stamp.