Sunday, September 20, 2015

A Walk Of Mind ... Time Out In The Woods... ?!

I am an animated and enthusiastic person and I pride myself in that ability. I can talk to ANY stranger and make friends easily, even if we don't speak the same language, which would be rare because I am fluent in English and Mandarin, and quite competent in Spanish, ASL, Japanese and Korean. I just don't admit to it because I like to eavesdrop and observe as I see fit. ... You know how it is...

So, a friend of mine asked why I don't go for advertising and acting and stuff... Why I stay behind the camera is because I like it there, but here's another reason why I am NOT in front of the camera!



Haha! So, yes... I'm trying to overcome it but... Baby steps, eh? Also, I'm conscious about my left eye being bigger than my right eye. It's uncomfortable knowing one of my greatest flaws is on my face... Ya know?

Anyways, I managed to watch 2 movies today! At the DGA, not to mention!! What a wonderful easy-going day it was!! First, to brunch over a bowl of Jja Jjiang Myun at the Pho Shop in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, but I have to wait for my palette to return to normal before I could fully enjoy and appreciate it.

First on my docket, "A Walk In The Woods" (2015) featuring Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. I LIKED THIS MOVIE. It's a cross between "Into The Wild" (2007) meets every buddy film ever made featuring old friend who lose touch and come back together for a great adventure. I recommend watching it with people who enjoy nature films and curious minds. There is a lot to be learned about rocks and trees and the nature of humans. I hope I've not given away too many spoilers, only what can be seen from the trailers! I rate it a satisfying 2 of 4 stars!!

Secondly, I must apologize to Richard Gere, but I did NOT enjoy "Time Out Of Mind" (2015). Save your money, save your time, and save your respect for the Gere-maestro himself because, after watching this film, one must wonder 'what in the world was he thinking', taking part in such a poorly developed, written, and shot film?! I heard someone say it was in an effort to relaunch his career but the dude took a wrong turn when he agreed to this dull and noisy film. I actually admitted to feeling bad for disliking it and those around me agreed that they did NOT like it as well, and these are seasoned members of the DGA! So, my rating would be 1 of 4 stars ~ mainly because I didn't HATE it enough to rob it of stars completely.

I am STOKED about the upcoming BIGBANG concert!!! The first one is Oct. 2nd and the second one is Oct. 3rd!! I'm attending the one in LA with a dear friend and also BigBang lover!! The one in the O.C. is with my older sister, who is lovely and awesome, and also loves BigBang!! If only it were iKon on the second night or something!! Waaaah!!

Oh, and here it is! The other contestants and me in JiNan, ShanDong, China!!

(L->R) Ethan, Sean, Me, Mr. Jin
My China-Vid editing is coming along. It's hard because... I'm not an editor. It's scary, trying to edit something into something EVERYONE or SOMEONE would like to watch or me inspired/motivated by. I do wonder if I can do it, but I also wonder how others would react to the finished product.

Personally, this trip was very revealing to me. It showed me that I could NOT be a permanent residence of China, regardless of where I would occupy. It's not only a physical difference but also an emotional and cultural difference that would destroy who I am. Culturally, I'm an American born Chinese, but I was raised in America, thus the American-ness of me. Emotionally, I'm strong-willed, ambitious, and very NOT docile, despite my facade. I like the weaker and gentler side of me that others feel like they can overpower, but that's just one side of me, eh?

Although the heat and humidity would manage to help me shed my extra weight, I would be estranged and treated differently the moment I opened my mouth. I learned that, not only do I have an American accent to my Mandarin, but also a Taiwan accent. I'm quite tall in China, and therefore stick out, but I like my height and wouldn't regret it. My main concern was my diet. OMG!! Being allergic to shellfish complicated my mission, but fearing the water and odors of the squatties kept me in check. Also, walking EVERYWHERE was a definite experience. It made my appreciate Toby (my car) all the more! Not to mention, I would miss my friends and family in LA.

So, I guess I'm staying over here, but... China remains ever the temptress... whispering and calling out to me... When will my next adventure be?

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a young writer/director whose individual style and complete control over all elements of production give my work a personal and unique stamp.