Thursday, August 13, 2015

Fantastic Mission 4 Impossible... eh? (Contains Spoilers!!!)

So, 'Mission Impossible 5: Rogue Nation' wasn't all it was cracked up to be, was it? Because I saw it with an action enthusiast, as it was exciting for me. But when I take a look at the story and overall arcs  there was just so much that caused me to all away from the story. And though some of you would scold me and say, "That's what the 'Mission Impossible' franchise is all about!" ... I couldn't agree more. 



It goes without saying, I enjoyed the character conflict within the story but I just wanted more of a clash and mystery. The moment we meet Ilsa Faust (Rebecca Ferguson), we’re on the path of trusting her while not trusting her. Why does she have to cross the line so early on in the film? Why can’t she stay on evil’s side until the very last moment? We can hate her badly and then put things together to reveal how she helps in the future after a series of unfortunate events, as it goes in every Bond film, right?

I loved the role Benji Dunn (Simon Pegg) played in this film. As the comedic relief, he was great to watch, listen to, entertaining, and quite the ultimate supporter of the story. Not only did he only ask to be a bigger part of the story time and time again, but he also had a huge part towards the end and came out alive and well (SPOILER!!). Jeremy Renner returned as William Brandt, and played both sides, as expected. With the addition of Ving Rhames as Luther Stickell, the team returned at full steam ahead, not even allowing the CIA to take them down, much less the enemies. 

Of all the scenes in the action-ish movie, I do admit that the motorcycle and automobile chase was of the more exciting variation. From the beginning, when we knew Ilsa was in trouble down to the end, when she managed to get away from Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise), it was a personal connection that crashed into him and the way the end of the movie came about just tied up so many loose ends that, somehow, made you wonder... why IMF was always getting into so much trouble?! They should just hire Jason Bourne and get it over with.

Overall, I give it  of 4 ★s. 

Right then... Now, onto the fantabulous 'Fantastic 4'... Let me just start with: OMG. 


I thought I would look forward to the story and… I didn’t. I thought I would enjoy the action and… I was disappointed. I hoped for a sweet romantic B-Story line and that, also, failed. Some sexual tension would have been great between ANYONE, and yet, NO ONE had it. Every character was very mainstream and that annoyed the heck out of me because no one in this world is THAT mainstream! I couldn’t relate to any of them, I didn’t covet any of their abilities, and I feel that this re-imagining of the story sucked beyond comparison.

This is not to say that each individual actor isn’t talented. I think apart in their own elements, they are quite amazing and give great performances, but together, their chemistry felt off and strange. The guys had their awkwardnesses and I understood that, but of all the characters, Kate Mara felt the most off and strange. I feel like Mila Kunis or Jenna Dewan-Tatum would have been a better choice. Or, perhaps, even Emma Watson or Emma Roberts. The choice of Mara not only threw me off, but also pulled me out of the film. Too much seemed to distract and there was no clarity in terms of who she liked more and why did all the guys seem to like her? It's just so strange to me. I uch prefer the traditional franchise and the story format it employed. 

Most importantly, the highs in the story were too low and the lows were too high. There was no overly joyous moments in the film and there were no down-right depressing parts in this film. Everything remained on the same stream of consciousness  never once going out of the middle emotion of the film. This annoyed me to no end, and in the end, I could have been asleep and it wouldn't have mattered because I came away with nothing. 

So, just for sanity's sake... I give it  OF 4 ★S. 

Finally... Onto a film that I am looking forward to seeing!! 'THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.' !!!! I WANT TO SEE THIS FILM. 


Not only did I enjoy the oldies like 'The Avengers' and 'Get Smart', I am still waiting to see 'Kingsman: The Secret Service' but am very much looking forward to seeing Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer in such deliciously sarcastic roles. I am looking forward to the action and storytelling because it's created by the same who created epic films like 'Sherlock Holmes' and 'Snatch'! OMG! I am so excited!! Can you see how excited I am?

Moreover, I want to see this film with a certain friend. That is to say, I have a friend who used to choreograph with me, is a lawyer, and grew up in the anime culture, and I feel like he would adore this film. I invited him and he has agreed, so all that remains is to organize our time to make it happen but I am very excited about it! No, this is not a date. But he is an old friend of mine and very much the type of person who would enjoy this. So, if this film does fail to meet my expectations, at least his reactions will keep me entertained. 

On the other end of the spectrum, the Big Bang concert approaches and I am getting excited about that! Did I mention that I live in Los Angeles and am going both nights they are in town? The first evening, Oct. 2nd, I will go with the friend who I went to the KCon concert night #2 with. It will, again, be at the Staple Center and our tickets are quite good. The second evening will be at the Honda Center in Anaheim. I'm going with my older sister and we are looking forward to it!! I wonder if it will change from night to night. Perhaps not. But so very excited nonetheless!!

And waaaaay, on the other edge of the spectrum, I am starting a new series for youtube and working with two very good friends. Float 2 should be coming soon, too, so look forward to that!! Styelle_M and I are working together again on writing and creating, so look forward to some of that coming out... 

And I've recently recorded my own solo podcast! That was something new and exciting!! I'm getting ready for #2, and well, it's our 25th episode, so LOOK FOR ME!!! Hahaha!! Still, CoTangent Episode #24 is up!! So please check it out!!

Finally... this is all for me... For now... Until next time!! Keep cool and happy!!!

Twitter: @tiffrz 

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a young writer/director whose individual style and complete control over all elements of production give my work a personal and unique stamp.